Tossa de Mar
Tossa de Mar in Costa Brava is a peaceful beach destination and a perfect fit for families. Enjoy the beach and the sea, stroll around in the 14th century historic old town and spoil your taste buds in this beautiful Mediterranean town.
The town center and the main beach situate at the end of a cove, surrounded by cliffs on both sides. The crystal-clear waters and the busy under water sea life attract divers all the way from Barcelona.
Where to stay
The center of Tossa de Mar is ideal for accommodation. Tossa de Mar is a typical Spanish town with narrow alleys and white washed houses.
The center is located between the bus station (marked on the map) and the main beach. The distance from the station to the beach is about 600 meters. The otherwise flat town center is surrounded by hills on both sides. Switch to satellite mode on the map (upper left corner) and you’ll see where the hills begin.
Things to do in Tossa de Mar
The nature at the seaside is truly beautiful, which is the main reason for many to visit Tossa de Mar. The beautiful Mediterranean offers astonishing surroundings for hikes and all kinds of outdoorsy activities. Moreover, the medieval town center offers fascinating sites to explore, providing nice contrast to the beauty of the nature.
Translated as the old village, Vila Vella is the fortified part of the town. Overt time, the rectangular castle with a watchtower at the top has been transformed into the present-day lighthouse.
The Vila Vella itself is a charming place with narrow cobbled streets. Inside the Vila Vella, there are also the remains of the late-Gothic 15th-century church of Sant Vicenç, which is built on top of the remains of an earlier Romanesque church of the 11th or the 12th century. The 300-meter long rampart of the old town is an emblem of Tossa de Mar. The views from the top are unique.
Guided tours: Tossa Tour Experience
Snorkeling and diving
The waters in Tossa are bright with diverse underwater world. The area is great for snorkeling and diving, and therefore people come all the way from Barcelona to this tiny coastal town for underwater exploring.
Museu Municipal de Tossa de Mar
The municipal museum has been situated in the Old Town since 1935. It consists of two parts - arts and archaeological sections. The arts section exhibits collections of different artists such as Marc Chagall and Olga Sacharoff. In the archaeological section, you get to see the ruins of the Ametllers Villa from 2nd century BC., which is one of the most important Roman villas found in the Tarragona Province.
Address: Plaça Pintor Roig i Soler, 1. (Picture 4 on the map, building on the left behind the cypress tree)
A nature trail follows the coast to the South. It starts behind Vila Vella, shown in picture 8 on the map, opposite side of the bay. The Mediterranean on the other side and the pine forest on the other, provide a pleasurable setting for a walk. There are several viewing points, Miradors, along the way.
Visit other towns in Costa Brava
Visiting neighboring towns is easier by a rental car but a local bus isn't completely excluded. During the wintertime, Girona is connected via Lloret de Mar or Llagostera, but in the summertime (starting from the beginning of July), you have direct buses to Girona from Tossa de Mar. Local buses to Lloret de Mar: Autocars Pujol. Direct buses to Girona in the summertime: Moventis.
- Girona - located only 40 kilometers away and definitely worth a day trip. Girona is a significantly bigger city with a rich history and well-preserved architecture.
- Besalú - some 70 kilometers north of Tossa, you'll find the very medieval village that is truly unique. Besalú is connected with Tossa via Girona.
- Empuriabrava - the holiday hideout of jet set is situated some 100 kilometers north of Tossa. Go and rent an electric boat to explore the villas and private yachts along the network of artificial canals in the middle of the town.
- Figueres - the birthplace of the master artist Salvador Dalí. Visit the Dalí museum and explore the beautiful architecture of Figueres.
Prices in Tossa de Mar
Prices of restaurant services in Tossa de Mar are close to the average in the European Union. Hotel room prices are much cheaper in the early summer, before the real high season starts in July.
Below, there are some examples of restaurant and hotel prices in the town center. Costs of hotel rooms are median prices at Booking.com.
Pizza in restaurant
Steak in restaurant
33 cl beer in restaurant
Hotel, 3-4 stars (April)
Hotel, 3-4 stars (July)
Find the best hotel deals in Tossa de Mar from Booking.com Deals Finder
How to get to Tossa de Mar
From Barcelona airport
- From Barcelona airport, there are a few direct buses to Tossa in a day (during summertime). Journey takes over 2 hours. Timetables: Moventis
From Barcelona City
- The buses to Tossa de Mar leave from the main bus station of Barcelona, Estacio del Nord. Estació del Nord is located a little over one kilometer away from Catalonia Square next to the Arc de Triomf metro station. Timetables: Moventis
- Train connections from Barcelona up north to Costa Brava don’t go beyond Blanes. The railroad takes a turn to inland after that. The distance from Blanes to Tossa de Mar is 18 kilometers. Timetables for trains: Renfe.com.
From Girona Airport
Weather in Tossa de Mar
Winter: Winters are mild with average daily highs between 5°C to 15°C. It rains frequently.
Spring: In March and April, temperatures may exceed 20°C. However, have a coat with you just in case, as mornings and evenings are somewhat chilly. Seawater is still too cold for swimming, but it rains less than in the winter. In May, temperatures exceed 20°C and the beaches begin to attract sunbathers.
Summer: June is a good month to visit Tossa de Mar. During the hottest hours of the day, temperatures climb to 30°C. July and August are the hottest and driest months of the year, with temperatures as high as 35°C in the shade.
Autumn: Temperatures and sea water remain warm in early autumn. The beach season continues until mid-October, after which temperatures begin to drop to 20°C and below. There’s more rain the further the autumn advances.
Check out other destinations in Spain