Salou is the ultimate beach destination for families! Family friendly beaches, hotels, restaurants, a huge theme park and a wild water park - what more a family could ask for. The small town in Costa Dorada is clean and well-maintained, and the numerous water fountains add the final touch.
The PortAventura World and the water park Caribe are located just outside the town. Both the PortAventura World and the Caribe are among the biggest theme & water parks in Europe, that offer plenty of fun for the whole family. The newly-opened Ferrari Land is the newest addition in the area, guiding you to the world of Ferrari through attractions and simulations.
Where to stay in Salou
As the beach is an essential element in Salou, it's better to stay somewhere within a close range to it. You will find a good selection of restaurants nearby near the promenades Passeig de Miramar and Passeig de Jaume I. The area behind Capellans beach is quite hilly, which is good to bear in mind if you have restrictions with mobility. The area behind the main beach is plain.
Things to do in Salou
After lying a few days at the beach, you might want to do something else - Salou and the nearby locations have various things to offer. Whether it will be laughing and screaming at a theme park, having strolls along the beach promenade or enjoying of the culture and the history at the ruins from the Roman times, you don't have to go far to experience all that.
Port Aventura World
PortAventura World is the biggest and most famous theme park in Spain, and among the best theme parks in whole Europe. PortAventura World consists of two theme parks: the PortAventura & the Ferrari Land, and one water park: PortAventura Caribe.
The PortAventura and the Ferrari land can be combined on a same day, but the Caribe water park requires an additional day. If you want to visit more than one park during the high season, you might want to consider staying for overnight in a hotel at PortAventura, as the queues are long and time flies when you're having fun.
The PortAventura Park is divided into themes by regions - Mediterrània, Mexico, China, Polynesia, Far West and Sesamo Aventura, which is aimed for smaller children. The highlight rides are the 100-meter tall free fall Huracan Condor, the Shambhala which holds the old tallest roller coaster record in Europe, and the speedy Dragon Khan that dashes you to 110 km/h. All in all, there are 5 hotels to choose from where to stay in PortAventura World. There are many restaurants inside the park and you can find food native to each area.
The newly-opened Ferrari Land is a must-visit place for Ferrari fanatics and for all roller coaster enthusiasts, since there you can find the tallest and the fastest roller coaster in Europe. It’s called Red Force and it takes you to 112 meters's altitude, accelerating to 180 km/h in 5 seconds, giving you 1.3 g-force. That roller coaster is the only amazing ride in Ferrari Land though. Ferrari Land is more of a homage to Ferrari and will please you more, if you are a Ferrari fan. Ferrari Land have attractions and simulators where you will experience the world of Ferrari in different forms.
The aquatic park PortAventura Caribe is a Caribbean themed water park right next to Port Aventura and Ferrari Land. The water park is one of the biggest in Europe, and it offers fun and fast slides even for the most daring people. King Khajuna is a 31-meter tall slide takes takes you down in 55 degree angle, reaching over 20 km/h. Ciclón Tropical is a multi-bump ride of 100 m length.
- Location: Avinguda de l'Alcalde Pere Molas, km 2, 43840 Vila-seca
- Webpage: portaventuraworld.com
- How to arrive: Port Aventura has a train station next to it, which is the easiest way to arrive. There are several daily services to PortAventura station from Barcelona train stations, calling at Salou. For exact timetables, please check the website of the Spanish Rail: renfe.com.
The Go-Kart track of over 900-meters in length is one of the longest in Spain. The adults drive with 270cc Go-Karts. The Go-Kart track is a nice option for spending your day in Salou with a group of friends or family. Besides the adult’s track, you have another track of 300 meters for 4-13 years old.
- Address: Autovia Reus-Salou Km 2,1
- Website: kartingsalou.com
- How to get: By taxi or walking. There is also a free shuttle bus service. Please check the schedules on their website.
A great way to end a stroll at the seaside promenade of Salou, is to visit the Font Lluminosa, which is an illuminated fountain located at the end of Paseo Jaume I.
From Easter to November, they do astonishing light shows combined with varied music genres. The fountain was created in 1973 by engineer Carles Buigas, who also created the Magic Fountain in Montjuïc in Barcelona. The lights and the jets can reach up to 210 combinations. A visit to the show is a must-do thing in Salou.
- Address: Carrer de Carles Buïgas, 1
- Website: visitsalou.eu
- How to get: taxi or walking
How to get there
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
- By bus: You can take a direct bus to Salou by the company Bus Plana. The journey takes from 1 h 45 minutes to 2 hours and costs around 17 euros. The bus leaves from in front of Terminal 1. The bus makes various stops and you can search your closest bus stop to your hotel in Salou at their web page.
- By train: There are no direct trains from Barcelona El Prat airport to Salou. You have to first take a local train from Terminal 2 to station Barcelona-Sants. The local train to Barcelona-Sants takes 20 minutes and costs 2,50 euros. From Barcelona-Sants station, there are several trains daily to Salou. Trains take from 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. The price varies from 8 euros to 20 euros, depending of the type of the train. The local train tickets from Barcelona airport to Barcelona Sants you can buy from an automate in the train station of Barcelona El Prat airport.
Prices in Salou
The prices of restaurant and hotels services in Salou are approximately on the same level as the average in the European Union. There is a big gap in hotel prices between the low and the high seasons. In June, the prices of hotel rooms start to rise towards to the peak in July and August.
Below, there are some examples of restaurant and hotel prices in Salou. Costs of hotel rooms are median prices at Booking.com.
Pizza in restaurant
Steak in restaurant
33 cl beer in restaurant
Hotel room, 3-4* (April)
Hotel room, 3-4* (July)
Weather in Salou
Winter: The winter months from December to February are often rainy and the average temperatures vary between 5-15 °C.
Spring: The rainfalls are less frequent the further to the spring it gets and the sun is out more often. In March, the average daily high temperature climbs is around 15-20°C, but in May, the average is already at 20 °C. May is often the month when you have beach weather the first time.
Summer: From June to August, it rains seldom and the sunshine is pretty much guaranteed. The temperature climbs up to 30 °C and over. June isn't as hot as July and August.
Autumn: September is still a warm month and it’s often beach weather throughout the month. The temperature in September stays clearly above 20 °C In mid October, the weather cools down to under 20 °C and it starts to rain more often. In November, the temperature is already around 10°C.