Where to accommodate in Ljubljana
The most interesting area of Ljubljana is the Old Town, which is situated within the photo tags on the map. Naturally, it’s also the best location for accommodation.
With regards to shopping and services, the area between the Old Town and the railway station is also a good choice. The railway station is indicated with a red tag on the map.
The area between the Old Town and Tivoli Park contains museums, opera, embassies and agencies. While this area is more spacious than the Old Town, there aren’t many hotels around.
The central area is small. The distance between the railway station and the picture tag 7 is about 1.6 kilometers.
Things to do in Ljubljana
Ljubljana Castle stands on a hill right next to the Old Town. There’s only a short but steep climb to get there, with many different walking paths to choose from. There’s also a paid funicular from Krekov trg to the castle.courtyard in the middle. The castle is not particularly large.
For more information: ljubljanskigrad.si
Tivoli Park is a large, green park area in northeastern parts of the city. It’s easy to walk there from the center: go to the end of Cankarjeva cesta and through the underpass.
The park contains:
- University Botanic Gardens (image)
- International Centre Of Graphic Arts (image)
- Open air photography exhibitions on Jakopič Promenade (image)
- Museum of Contemporary History
- Playgrounds for children, mini-golf, cafes, etc.
The National gallery, also referred to as Art Gallery, hosts permanent and changing exhibitions. It’s situated right before the Tivoli Park underpass at the end of Cankarjeva cesta. The Museum of Modern art is situated on the opposite side of the crossing.National Gallery and Museum of Modern Art & Museum Contemporary Art
The latter link leads to the combined website of Museum of Modern Art and Museum of contemporary Art. It’s not only the website they have in common; they also offer discounts on combined entrance tickets. The Museum of Contemporary Art is situated just under 2 kilometers eastwards on foot.
- Clothing: There are no actual shopping streets. Most shops are scattered in the center and the Old Town. Some international brands, such as Benetton, Zara, Mango and H&M, have stores in at the crossing of Slovenska cesta and Čopova ulica. Galerija Emporium, the multi-storey department store next to Prešernov trg, contains top fashion and luxury brands. There’s another department store, Maxi, between Kongresni trg ja Republike trg on the outskirts of the center. BTC City, one of the largest business, shopping, entertainment, recreation and cultural centers in Europe, is situated a few kilometers eastwards. In the same area, there’s a shopping center called CityPark.
- Food: For fresh food and much more, go to the Central market between Triple Bridge and Dragon Bridge south of the river. In the area, there’re indoor and outdoor markets. According to a given schedule, the area is packed with stands selling all kinds of things, ranging from street food to handmade crafts.
Pictures: Outdoor market - Plečnikove arkade (two-storey indoor market) - Open kitchen market on the Pogačarjev square.
By far the best supermarket for groceries, Mercator, is to be found on the bottom floor of the aforementioned Maxi department store. If there’s anything you can’t find from the indoor and outdoor markets, you’ll surely find them at Mercator.
Slovenia is the wealthiest of the former Yugoslavian countries. In fact, the general price level is closer to Central Europe rather than its southern neighbors.
Below, there are examples of restaurant and hotel prices in central Ljubljana. The prices are median prices at Booking.com.
Pizza in restaurant
Steak in restaurant
33 cl beer in restaurant
Hotel, 3-4 stars (April)
Hotel, 3-4 stars (July)
Hotel offers at Booking.com:
From the airport to the center
The only international airport of Slovenia, Jože Pučnik, is situated in Brnik, 26 kilometers from the capital. It is often referred to as Ljubljana airport.
There’s no railway connection from the airport. Buses are the only public transport option. The main bus station, Ljubljana Avtobusna Postaja, is situated next to the railway station, which is indicated with a red tag on the map.
For information on public bus transportation: ap-ljubljana.si. In the connection menu, use “Brnik/airport Ljubljana” for the airport bus stop and “Ljubljana Avtobusna Postaja” for the Ljubljana bus station.
Weather in Ljubljana
Summer: Weather forecasts may often indicate rain in Ljubljana, sometimes for several days in a row. However, that’s not the whole truth. Typically, the rain showers are short and take place in the afternoon, if it rains at all. The showers may be heavy with thunder, but there’s sunshine most of the time. Yet, the records show rain, since it did for a short moment.
The rainy climate of the Alps doesn’t reach Ljubljana and, indeed, there’s plenty of sunshine during daytime. Daily highs are in the range of 25-33°C. Nights are cooler with temperatures dropping to about 20°C and below.