The order of presenting the bridges is from north to south in terms of their location.
The bridges are great places on a hot day, since there's always a cool breeze from the river to cool you off. And the scenery couldn't be better.
Margaret Bridge (Margit híd)
Margaret Bridge is located a little outside the Budapest city center. It's the second oldest permanent bridge in Budapest and the easiest way to get to Margaret Island.
The bridge is not straight, as it makes a turn at the crossroads to Margaret Island. The extension to the island wasn't built simultaneously with the original bridge. Before building the extension, the only way to get to Margaret Island was by boat.
There are separate lanes for cars, trams, bicycles and pedestrians on Margaret Bridge.
- The closest metro station on the Pest side: Nyugati Pályaudvar (700 m)
- The closest metro station on the Buda side: Batthyány tér (900 m)
Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Lánchíd)
Chain Bridge is the oldest and the most famous permanent bridge in Hungary. It is known especially for the four stone lions, all situated in their own respective corners of the bridge.
There are sidewalks for the pedestrians.
- The closest metro station on the Pest side: Vörösmarty tér (550 m)
- The closest metro station on the Buda side: Batthyány tér (1000 m)
Elisabeth Bridge (Erzsébet híd)
Elisabeth Bridge was built relatively recently. It was originally built between 1897-1903 but blown up at the end of World War II just like the rest of these bridges. Elisabeth Bridge was the only one that wasn't rebuilt. Instead, it was replaced by a new cable bridge, now standing on the original foundations.
As is the case with the other bridges, there are sidewalks for the pedestrians.
- The closest metro station on the Pest side: Ferenciek tere (400 m)
- The closest metro station on the Buda side: Szent Gellért tér (1000 m)
Liberty Bridge (Szabadság híd)
Liberty Bridge is the shortest of the four bridges. The four birds on top of the bridge depict the mythological Turul birds. You can find the statue of the same bird flying in front of the Buda Castle.
On the Pest side, south of Liberty Bridge, there's a nice promenade to have a drink or eat very close to the river.
There are lanes for cars and trams as well as sidewalks for the pedestrians.
- The closest metro station on the Pest side: Fővám tér (50 m)
- The closest metro station on the Buda side: Szent Gellért tér (150 m)